The Kennet gauges are located at
- Winterbourne Monkton on the upper Upper reach
- Marlborough on the Upper reach
- Knighton - two gauges on the Upper reach between Ramsbury and Chilton Foliat
- Eddington at Hungerford where the Middle reach starts
- Newbury on the Lower reach
- Theale (Barble Bar) on the Lower reach
- Blakes Lock, Reading on the Lower reach not far from The Thames confluence.
However, only the last three of the main River Kennet gauges are of much use to paddlers, in that they are located on sections of the river where paddling is generally viable, and only Theale gives a good river level indication in terms of partial independence from the water of the canalised Navigation.
The Theale gauge currently shows the river to be significantly low within a bandwidth of typical range, but, hey, it's summer and it hasn't rained much recently.
The Kennet with low water levels at the Theale gauging station at the end of June 2010, but Barble Bar is still going.