The annual Waterside and Thameside series of races on the Kennet and Avon Canal should have little impact on any users the riverine sections of the waterway, but as it is necessary to use the canal to access certain sections of the river please note the following dates and locations when you may encounter canoe and kayak racing (although there is also plenty of training carried out in the six months prior to the Devizes to Westminster race).
- Sunday 27 February 2011: Waterside A - this will only affect you if you are paddling in Newbury (the finish line is by the Waterside Centre). Watch out for swimmers.
The Waterside Series finish line in Newbury in 2009. Don't bother trying to park at Newbury Quay on race days.
- Sunday 6 March 2011: Thameside 1 - from Aldermaston Bridge to the Thames along the canalised route.
- Sunday 13 March 2011: Waterside B - from downstream of the A339 road bridge in Newbury to Aldermaston Wharf and back.
- Sunday 27 March 2011: Waterside C - this will again only affect you if you are paddling upstream of the Newbury Waterside Centre finish line.
- Sunday 10 April 2010: Waterside D - as for Waterside C.
- Friday 22 - Monday 25 April 2011 (the Easter Bank Holiday): the Devizes to Westminster Race - obviously it will be the Friday and Saturday that will affect the Kennet.
Dates for the 2012 Waterside series are as follows:
- Race A 12th February 2012
- Race B 26th February 2012
- Race C 11th March 2012
- Race D 25th March 2012